This article is part of our Italian Week on Tennis Buzz.
What do tennis stars Chris Evert and Guillermo Vilas, ski icon Marc Girardelli and F1 champion Alain Prost have in common? These sporting legends have all been sponsored by italian sports-lifestyle brand ellesse.
The ellesse name is based on the initials LS of its founder, Leonardo Servadio, an Italian tailor with an innovative approach to styling and manufacture.
In 1959, Servadio created a revolutionary stretch ski pant which established ellesse among the elite alpine social circles, making it the ultimate aspirational brand.
The famous half-ball ellesse logo combines the trips of a pair of skis with a cross section of a tennis ball, to symbolize the brand’s heritage in these sports. The ellesse brand is often cited as one of the first ever brands to feature their company logo on the outside of the clothes, a move copied by brands worldwide ever since.
Site: USTA Tennis Center, Flushing Meadows, NY
Dates: Monday, August 29 – Sunday, September 11 2011
Qualifying Matches: Begin Tuesday, Aug. 23 through Friday, August 26
Main Draw: Thursday, August 25. Main Draw begins Monday, August 29
US Open official website: http://www.usopen.org/
They can be purchased in person at any Ticketmaster outlet location or by visiting the Box Office located at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Have a closer look after the jump.
Play Tennis with Chris Evert & Win 2 VIP Tickets 2010 Chris Evert/Raymond James Pro-Celebrity Tennis Classic:
• Play side by side with Chris Evert and other celebrities with 1 playing position in the tennis Pro-Am on Friday, November 5
• 2 Platinum Box seats for Saturday, November 6th & Sunday, November 7th
• 2 Invitations to the Champions Cocktail Reception on Friday,November 5th
• 2 Invitations to the Gala Dinner Dance on Saturday evening on Saturday, November 6th
• A 3 day/2 night hotel stay at the Wyndham Hotel in Boca Raton