Roland Garros 2016

How to buy French Open tickets

Here’s my guide to help you buy tickets for Roland Garros, the second Slam of the season. If you have any question, feel free to ask below, I’ll do my best to answer.

The events

Serena Williams, Roland Garros 2015

Qualifyings – 21 to 25 May 2018

Tickets give access to the entire public area within the stadium. Courts 6 to 18 have unreserved seating and are open to all. Court Suzanne Lenglen is also open to all spectators to watch players from the main draw practising before the tournament starts. (Check out my report from last year’s qualifyings 3 days at Roland Garros: Rafa, Andy, Petra and more).

Roland Garros Kids’ Day – 26 May 2018

Roland Garros Kids’ Day is a charity event, devoted to fund raising for charitable organisations. On Kids’ Day, exhibition matches are scheduled on the three main courts, with plenty of other activities and practice sessions on the other courts and throughout the stadium.

French Open – 27 May to 10 June 2018

Since 2006 the French Open has started on a Sunday, that means the first round is played over three days from Sunday to Tuesday. Every other round is played over two days. Unlike the Australian and US Opens, there is no night session, only a day session.

Legends Trophy – 5 to 10 June 2018

The Legends Trophy (Trophée des Légendes) brings together twenty-four of history’s greatest champions, grouped according to age in the two men’s draws, and twelve former women’s tennis stars. Matches are played on court 1 and court Suzanne Lenglen during the second week of the French Open and can be watched by holders of outside courts tickets.

Wheelchair tennis tournament – 7 to 9 June 2018

The wheelchair tennis tournament is held during the second week of the French Open. All wheelchair tennis matches can be watched by holders of outside courts tickets.

Check out the provisional schedule.

The courts

Court Philippe Chatrier, Roland Garros 2015
Tickets for show courts (Philippe Chatrier, Suzanne Lenglen, court number one) also give access to the outside courts; you will be assigned an allocated seat for the whole day. On the outside courts, seating is on a first come first served basis, there is no allocated seat.

Court Philippe Chatrier

Court Philippe Chatrier was built in 1928 as Roland Garros’s centerpiece and remains its principal venue, seating 14,840 spectators. The stadium was known simply as “Court Central” until 1998, when it was renamed for Philippe Chatrier, the long-time president of the Fédération Française de Tennis (FFT) who helped restore tennis as a Summer Olympics sport in 1988.

Plan_CourtPC

Court Suzanne Lenglen

The secondary Roland Garros stadium with a capacity of 10,068 spectators, the court Suzanne Lenglen was built in 1994. Suzanne Lenglen, born in 1899, was the first female tennis celebrity and one of the first international female sport stars, named La Divine (the divine one) by the French press.

Court Suzanne Lenglen Roland Garros

Court One

Nicknamed the “Bullring” because of its circular shape – is a favorite among serious tennis fans because of its relatively small size ( 3,800 seats) and feeling of close proximity to the action.

Court 1 Roland Garros

Outside courts

Courts 3 to 18. Outside courts and have been the scene of some stunning French Open upsets in the past. In the early rounds of the tournament, outside courts are also the place to be to watch the top players practicing.

The tickets

Novak Djokovic, Roland Garros 2015

Individual tickets

Single all day tickets: Allow a reserved seat on one of the show courts (Chatrier, Lenglen and Court 1) and/or unlimited access to the outside courts. From €20 on outside courts, from €50 on Chatrier.

Evening Visitors from 27 May to 6 June: Tickets to outside courts or one of the show courts from 5pm. Pre-book your tickets from 5 pm on the evening before the day you wish to attend. From €12.

Multi day passes

Multi-day passes available:
– week end: Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 June. From €200 for 2 days on Lenglen, from €225 on Chatrier.
– semifinals: Thursday 7 and Friday 8 June. From €265.
– finals: Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 June. From €290.

Premium packages

All Premium packages include one ticket to the Court Philippe-Chatrier or Suzanne-Lenglen and dedicated services: lounges, dining, hotels … Premium ticket sales open on March 7. More details on the official website.

Booking limits

– 1 order and payment per person: Only one payment may be made per credit card (for the same card number). Bank e-cards or virtual credit cards shall not be accepted.
– 4 tickets for the main courts over the entire tournament.
– 12 tickets for the outside courts over the entire tournament
– no limit for qualifyings or Roland Garros Kids’ Day

How to order tickets

Court Chatrier, Roland Garros 2015

Keep in mind that there are no ticket sales at the stadium itself before or during tournament. All bookings have to be made before the event. The tickets sell out really fast, so you better be prepared.

There are only 2 ways to legally buy tickets:
– the official Roland Garros website
– official French Open agencies that propose exclusively VIP tickets and corporate hospitality offers. You can find the complete list here.

Roland Garros website

Ticket sales open to the general public on March 21. Tickets are sold on a first come first served basis, so check out the website in advance to plan what days and courts you would like tickets for.

The e-tickets need to be printed and will be scanned at the entrance gate of the stadium, where a pass will be printed in the name of the ticketholder. These will be checked against an ID to enter the stadium.

From mid-April, you can also resell tickets via Roland Garros website and buy tickets up until the day of the event, depending on their availability. Find out how to buy resale tickets.

Tips to order your French Open tickets

– create your account in advance
– tickets are sold on a first come first served basis, so check out the website in advance to plan what days and courts you would like tickets for
– write down the tickets you want to order
– check out the booking limits: only one order and payment per person
– no need to try to log in at midnight on the first day, tickets sale open at 10am Paris time (9am GMT)
– don’t refresh your browser page, you would only lose your place in the queue
– if you didn’t get the tickets you wanted, try again from mid-April

If you manage to get tickets and want to share your pictures and stories on Tennis Buzz, please leave a comment below.

Read also:
Roland Garros FAQs
How to buy Roland Garros resale tickets
How to get last minute Roland Garros tickets

Comments
333 Responses
  1. Gerald says:

Its no problem to sign in the names… the question is is it a problem at the gates?!?

2. ludmilla says:

Sorry, I’m not sure to understand your question. At the gates they only check out the name on your ticket is the name on your ID. They don’t know who bought the tickets.

3. Gerald says:

The buyer is written on the e-ticket, thats my I am asking.

4. ludmilla says:

They don’t check the ticket: you scan the ticket, get a countermark and they verify if names on countermark and ID are the same.

5. Gerald says:

Ok thanks

6. Helena says:

Hello,

If I assign my tickets and download them a few days before the match I am going to attend, can I resale them afterwards (in case I have changed my mind).?

7. Helena says:

Resell them (sorry)

8. ludmilla says:

@Helena yes, you can sell them the day before for instance

9. Helena says:

So I can assign them now without fear of something changing.Thank you!!

10. Robin says:

I have ordered tickets but in my RG accounts I see nothing under My Orders, is this normal?

11. Gerald says:

Normaly you should have at the upper side a area with my orders and a trop down menu with select your order. Did you get a invoice at your mail account?

12. Robin says:

I see on my CC statement this:
    FFT ROLAND GARROS 42186 PARIS € 700,-

and a Credit for the same amount..

How can this happen?

13. ludmilla says:

Hi Robin,

You must contact Roland Garros apparently there’s been a problem with your order and your order has been rejected and that’s why you don’t see it in your account.
    Go to your account and click on “Contact us”

14. Robin says:

Got an email wher they explain the issue:

We would like to thank you for the information you submitted us.
    Following the receipt, we have proceeded to the analysis of this information.

At the time of your booking, the seats which you selected were not available since another spectator had already selected them. Thus, your order was not validated even though you received a confirmation e-mail and an invoice from us.

For this reason, we are sorry to inform you that your order was not validated.
    The amount of this order will not be debited from your bank account.

This is unacceptable!?

15. This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me. Cheers!

16. Ligia says:

Do you know whether there is free wifi at the stadium? Thank you!

17. ludmilla says:

There are 3 free wifi zones:
    – place des Mousquetaires
    – near court 9
    – between courts 16 and 17

18. Gerald says:

At the homepage of rg is written only backpacks with 15 l what will be a little small one not a „normal one“. When you look now on TV everbody is carring a normal one, nobody has a small one?!? Anybody experience?

19. ludmilla says:

I would suggest you to follow the rules, security controls are really strict this year (even for the qualies). There are at least 3 controls before you can actually enter the grounds. You can’t enter the stadium with big backpacks.
    What do you mean by “normal ones” 20l” would be ok I think but 40l definitely not.

20. Gerald says:

For example thats a 30 l backpack (hope link is working) and thats a normal one witch everybody use…

Jack Wolfskin Moab Jam 30 Outdoor Wander Rucksack, Black, 53x34x13 cm

21. Gerald says:

It addition… at sightseeing in paris is the backpack a problem? Eiffel tower? Arc de triumph?

22. ludmilla says:

Well, what can I say, the rules are the rules and are written everywhere. You could take a 30L and have no problem to enter or take a 30L and have problem to enter depending on the security guy.

Backpacks are forbidden in museums, daypacks are allowed at Tour Eiffel and Arc de Triomphe

23. Peter says:

I purchased a ticket 4/18 for Wed quarterfinals through viagogo before I learned that they were no longer a ticketing partner. I changed my mind and wanted to resell but couldn’t and pretty much have received a conflicting responses from viagogo – one saying I could relist, another saying I couldn’t until I downloaded the ticket, but of course I didn’t have the ticket until finally a couple of days ago and this ticket has been assigned to my name. I can’t get a straight answer yet from them or Roland Garros ticketing if there is a way I can resell and reassign the ticket. Anybody here know the process?

24. Gerald says:

Only the person who buyed the tickets at first can resell them with his account…

25. Ligia says:

Hi!! I need to leave the stsdium today and go directly to the train station. Therefore, I want to use the free cloakrooms. Do you know whether it can happen to be totally full? I am concerned because, if it is full, I won’t have a place to store my luggage.

26. Gerald says:

I think they will find a way dont worry.

27. ludmilla says:

Luggage accepted are limited in size (cabin size)

28. HELENA says:

Hello,

I went to R.G. for the first time last week in the first rounds! It was unbelievably great!!!
    I would like to thank mostly ludmilla and then the rest of you for all the information and answers you gave me the last few months to each and every question I had.
    The best and the most informative site ever!!!
    Hope to go again next years!!

29. ludmilla says:

Great, happy it helped you

30. Georges says:

Should the Ticket buyer and Holder printed on the E-ticket match the ID shown at the entry gate?
    Does the countermark gets issued with the ticket holder’s name or get issued with the ID name?
    Thanks

31. Gerald says:

The holder not the buyer have to be the same with the id. Buyer is not importend.

32. Tana says:

We r a family of 5 traveling through Europe in in 2018. We are lucky to be in Paris during the French Open quarter finals. We would love to attend one day. I’m still confused as to what tickets to by. Do we buy general seating or on a specific court?

33. ludmilla says:

@Tana I guess you mean 2019. Quarterfinals are played on court Lenglen and court Chatrier on Tuesday and Wednesday of the second week. So you have to buy Lenglen or Chatrier tickets.
    You can check the provisional schedule here: https://tickets.rolandgarros.com/en/schedule