Roland Garros 2016

How to buy French Open tickets

Here’s my guide to help you buy tickets for Roland Garros, the second Slam of the season. If you have any question, feel free to ask below, I’ll do my best to answer.

The events

Serena Williams, Roland Garros 2015

Qualifyings – 21 to 25 May 2018

Tickets give access to the entire public area within the stadium. Courts 6 to 18 have unreserved seating and are open to all. Court Suzanne Lenglen is also open to all spectators to watch players from the main draw practising before the tournament starts. (Check out my report from last year’s qualifyings 3 days at Roland Garros: Rafa, Andy, Petra and more).

Roland Garros Kids’ Day – 26 May 2018

Roland Garros Kids’ Day is a charity event, devoted to fund raising for charitable organisations. On Kids’ Day, exhibition matches are scheduled on the three main courts, with plenty of other activities and practice sessions on the other courts and throughout the stadium.

French Open – 27 May to 10 June 2018

Since 2006 the French Open has started on a Sunday, that means the first round is played over three days from Sunday to Tuesday. Every other round is played over two days. Unlike the Australian and US Opens, there is no night session, only a day session.

Legends Trophy – 5 to 10 June 2018

The Legends Trophy (Trophée des Légendes) brings together twenty-four of history’s greatest champions, grouped according to age in the two men’s draws, and twelve former women’s tennis stars. Matches are played on court 1 and court Suzanne Lenglen during the second week of the French Open and can be watched by holders of outside courts tickets.

Wheelchair tennis tournament – 7 to 9 June 2018

The wheelchair tennis tournament is held during the second week of the French Open. All wheelchair tennis matches can be watched by holders of outside courts tickets.

Check out the provisional schedule.

The courts

Court Philippe Chatrier, Roland Garros 2015
Tickets for show courts (Philippe Chatrier, Suzanne Lenglen, court number one) also give access to the outside courts; you will be assigned an allocated seat for the whole day. On the outside courts, seating is on a first come first served basis, there is no allocated seat.

Court Philippe Chatrier

Court Philippe Chatrier was built in 1928 as Roland Garros’s centerpiece and remains its principal venue, seating 14,840 spectators. The stadium was known simply as “Court Central” until 1998, when it was renamed for Philippe Chatrier, the long-time president of the Fédération Française de Tennis (FFT) who helped restore tennis as a Summer Olympics sport in 1988.

Court Suzanne Lenglen

The secondary Roland Garros stadium with a capacity of 10,068 spectators, the court Suzanne Lenglen was built in 1994. Suzanne Lenglen, born in 1899, was the first female tennis celebrity and one of the first international female sport stars, named La Divine (the divine one) by the French press.

Court Suzanne Lenglen Roland Garros

Court One

Nicknamed the “Bullring” because of its circular shape – is a favorite among serious tennis fans because of its relatively small size ( 3,800 seats) and feeling of close proximity to the action.

Court 1 Roland Garros

Outside courts

Courts 3 to 18. Outside courts and have been the scene of some stunning French Open upsets in the past. In the early rounds of the tournament, outside courts are also the place to be to watch the top players practicing.

The tickets

Novak Djokovic, Roland Garros 2015

Individual tickets

Single all day tickets: Allow a reserved seat on one of the show courts (Chatrier, Lenglen and Court 1) and/or unlimited access to the outside courts. From €20 on outside courts, from €50 on Chatrier.

Evening Visitors from 27 May to 6 June: Tickets to outside courts or one of the show courts from 5pm. Pre-book your tickets from 5 pm on the evening before the day you wish to attend. From €12.

Multi day passes

Multi-day passes available:
– week end: Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 June. From €200 for 2 days on Lenglen, from €225 on Chatrier.
– semifinals: Thursday 7 and Friday 8 June. From €265.
– finals: Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 June. From €290.

Premium packages

All Premium packages include one ticket to the Court Philippe-Chatrier or Suzanne-Lenglen and dedicated services: lounges, dining, hotels … Premium ticket sales open on March 7. More details on the official website.

Booking limits

– 1 order and payment per person: Only one payment may be made per credit card (for the same card number). Bank e-cards or virtual credit cards shall not be accepted.
– 4 tickets for the main courts over the entire tournament.
– 12 tickets for the outside courts over the entire tournament
– no limit for qualifyings or Roland Garros Kids’ Day

How to order tickets

Court Chatrier, Roland Garros 2015

Keep in mind that there are no ticket sales at the stadium itself before or during tournament. All bookings have to be made before the event. The tickets sell out really fast, so you better be prepared.

There are only 2 ways to legally buy tickets:
– the official Roland Garros website
– official French Open agencies that propose exclusively VIP tickets and corporate hospitality offers. You can find the complete list here.

Roland Garros website

Ticket sales open to the general public on March 21. Tickets are sold on a first come first served basis, so check out the website in advance to plan what days and courts you would like tickets for.

The e-tickets need to be printed and will be scanned at the entrance gate of the stadium, where a pass will be printed in the name of the ticketholder. These will be checked against an ID to enter the stadium.

From mid-April, you can also resell tickets via Roland Garros website and buy tickets up until the day of the event, depending on their availability. Find out how to buy resale tickets.

Tips to order your French Open tickets

– create your account in advance
– tickets are sold on a first come first served basis, so check out the website in advance to plan what days and courts you would like tickets for
– write down the tickets you want to order
– check out the booking limits: only one order and payment per person
– no need to try to log in at midnight on the first day, tickets sale open at 10am Paris time (9am GMT)
– don’t refresh your browser page, you would only lose your place in the queue
– if you didn’t get the tickets you wanted, try again from mid-April

If you manage to get tickets and want to share your pictures and stories on Tennis Buzz, please leave a comment below.

Read also:
Roland Garros FAQs
How to buy Roland Garros resale tickets
How to get last minute Roland Garros tickets

232 Responses
  1. Gerald says:

Thanks a lot, yes that was my idee. I would like to see Thiem but as you know thats not so easy:-) ok 15 l think thats a normal one I guess.

2. ludmilla says:

Well, it’s really difficult to predict on which court Thiem will play. Which day you intend to go? He could also play on court 1.

3. Gerald says:

I want to go at 01/06 and 02/06 and last year he played on court 1;-) This I think, in fact he has luck because many players are not fit, he maybe seated on 5 or 6… ok last chance to go out of the area and go again in so it must be possible to use to tickets?

4. ludmilla says:

It’s a really bad idea in my opinion. He could play on Chatrier, Lenglen, 1. Why don’t you try to exchange your ticket or buy a resale ticket?

5. Gerald Reichenbrugger says:

Is it so easy to buy a resale ticket one day before the game?

6. HELENA says:

I would like to ask something about the procedure of scanning the barcode of the ticket and collecting the countermark: when is this going to take place? Inside the courts?
    Thank you!

7. ludmilla says:

@Gerald it depends which day, which court, how was the weather the day before….

@Helena no at the entry, just after security checks

8. Brian says:

Thanks for the info on ticket prices. With play starting at 11 am, I think my preference would be to have seats facing east/north….in the afternoon that would have the sun at my back rather than in my eyes. Do you know which stands face which direction at Philippe Chatrier? Is it possible to try and get tickets to a specific stand when tickets go on sale or does the search engine just select “best available” within a ticket category?

9. Ligia says:

Hi. I am very confused in choosing the courts for the tickets. Of course, I’d like to see matches at Philipe and Suzane courts. However, I saw that the ticket to Philipe does not give authorization to see matches at Suzane. I am afraid of buying one court and the best matches be in other. Is it possible to exchange courts during the day? I am planning to go on the weekend 2 and 3 june. Which court would you suggest me to buy? The two days Philipe or one day in each? Thank you so much!

10. ludmilla says:

@Brian you can see the compass in the Chatrier pic in the article above.

There’s an automatic feature suggesting the “best seat” in your category, you can accept or change for another seat. Usually the site proposes seats in stands Cochet and Borotra.
    Just a few advices:
    – if you want to buy tickets for different days, don’t lose time trying to get exactly where your seat is, because tickets sell out really quickly. And when you’re trying to figure out where your seat is for your day 1, the tickets for your day 2 could be gone.
    – avoid rank one and two, category two for Chatrier: you can’t see the game properly because there’s a “glass” which restrains the view

Top 4 players and top French players play their matches on Chatrier and at least once on Lenglen. But you can’t presume the quality of the match, it can be really crap even if the number one plays ;o)
    If it’s your first time at RG, buy one day each, court Lenglen is a nice court, you feel really close to the players. Once the schedule of play is announced you can buy/resale tickets or once inside the stadium you can try to exchange your ticket with another person

11. Brian says:

Thanks…I completely missed the compass in the picture. I’m only going for tickets on Saturday 2 June, but given that’s a weekend I imagine the tickets will go fast despite their higher price point.

I’m going to try and get two Category 3 seats in an effort to save a little money. The last time I went to a tennis tournament (Rogers Cup at the Aviva Centre in Toronto), I got seats in the corner and really enjoyed not having to turn my head to follow every shot. But that stadium is built as a circle so even in the corner, the seats were facing the court. Based on pics I see online, it looks like Philippe Chatrier is completely rectangular and so seats in the corners are not truly facing the court, i.e one has to have one’s head turned the whole time. Does that match your experience? Do you have any recommendations for the best place to sit in Category 3 seats?

12. ludmilla says:

Chatrier is rectangular indeed. I can’t really help you, I never bought category 3 Chatrier (too high in my opinion).

13. Ligia says:

thank you vey much! Yes, it would be my first time. That’s why I’m so unsure! One last question, have you bought the tickets in the official website. How much time before the open time would you advise me to login in order to be able to by the tickets?

14. ludmilla says:

Usually they put the site on maintenance mode and open it again a bit before 10. So, try to access the site around 9.30-9.45 When you’ll access the site you’ll be put in the queue and you’ll have to wait, the estimated time will be displayed and you’ll have to be patient, that’s it.

15. Ligia says:

Thank you Ludmilla! I hope that I am able to buy cat 1 for the weekend 2 and 3 june. Just one last question; You said that I “can try to exchange your ticket with another person” once in the stadium. Is it possible? Aren’t the tickets named and controled with the personal ID? Thank you again for your help!

16. Gerald says:

Only at the gates, than you can change.

17. Michael says:

Hello. Right now (March 13) “premium” tickets are on sale but “general public” tickets are not. For premium sales, court one seems to be mostly sold out. Do new court one tickets go on sale when “general public” tickets go on sale? Thanks!

18. Gerald says:

Public tickets sale starts on 21th… 10 am. On Court 1 there are no vip tickets so sold out mens there are no tickets for vip.

19. Michael says:

Thank you! This page and comments are great, much more informative than the Roland Garros site. I’ll be at my computer on 3/21 at 10:00 along with you all.

20. ludmilla says:

you confuse a little bit.
    There’s a queue outside the Roland Garros stadium, then at least 2 security checks outside the Roland Garros stadium, then you scan your ticket, get your countermark. The countermark is checked with name and personal ID by a steward (the countermark is in fact your real ticket). And only then you’re in the Roland Garros stadium.
    Once inside the stadium, if you want to exchange your ticket with someone else, you do what you want. To access the court, the steward check your countermark (there are no more ID checks).

21. Ligia says:

Thank you so much Ludmilla and Gerald for the clarification! Let’s hope that we are able to buy our dream tickets! 🙂

22. Ligia says:

Dear Ludmilla, are you familiar with the “multi pass” tickets? I saw that there is a multi pass for the weekend I would like to attend. Do you think that the ID check is the same as you explained for the single tickets? i.e. the ticket ID is only controlled before entering into the stadium and, as such, can be exchanged inside the stadium with other person (to see other courts)? Thank you again for your clarification!

23. ludmilla says:

The process is always the same, stewards check your countermark and compare it with your ID or passport at the entry of the stadium. At the entry of the court, the steward just control you have a Chatrier ticket for Chatrier or Lenglen ticket for the Lenglen court.
    When you buy a weekend pass you have 1 ticket for Saturday, 1 ticket for Sunday with the same seat, there are no differences ith individual tickets.

As you seem really stressed by the all thing, one other thing you must know: when you leave Chatrier or Lenglen (for food, toilets or whatever), stewards give you a little ticket. When you come back to the court, you must give it back to them so that you can get back to your seat.

24. Ligia says:

Great!! Thank you so much for this additional information. So, in order to exchange court, the person must give me the original court ticket and the small ticket given by the stewards when she/he left the court, right? I am really sorry for being stressed about this and asking so many questions, but I am coming from very far away to just try to be there and I have no experience. Your page and your answers are so clear and helped me a lot! Thank you so much! 🙂

25. ludmilla says:

If you exchange, the person must give you the countermark ticket (that’s you real ticket) and preferably the small ticket if the person already been to the court and left.
    You first have to focus on which tickets you want to buy when sale opens. If you’re really not sure buy 2 Chatrier tickets if you can and that’s it, you’ll be sure to watch the top players. And then you know that eventually you can exchange ticket IF you find someone wanting to.
    Do you want to see a player in particular? Where do you come from?

26. Dini says:

This is my first time at RG. I have 2 family members who need to get up and walk around every hour, or go to the restroom. Should I buy Premium tickets available now? Do they give access to shorter lines to get in, closer restrooms, food etc? Also, if I buy at Chatrier for both days of second round, I should have a good chance to see Rafa play, no? What happens if it rains? Thanks for any info. You can give me. Has anyone rented an apartment from TripAdvisor for Paris for RG? Any advice or comments?

27. Ligia says:

Ludmilla, I am coming from Brazil. Actually my favorite players might not attend RG this year (Djoko, Roger, Rafa and Serena). Therefore, I would like to see as much as possible of the other top players (Grigor, Thiem, Delpo, Stan, Goffin, Zverev and also the women, Venus, Kiki, Carol, Simona, Angie and -maybe – Maria). That’s why I was so unsure about the courts (I would like to see all…hahahaha, which is impossible).
    But I will take your advice and try to get 2 tickets for Chatrier or 1 multipass for Chatrier (which one is available). Fingers crossed!!! 🙂

28. ludmilla says:

@Ligia this article could interest you, it’s the story from someone who came all the way from India to see Nadal at RG:

– you can find all the infos about premium packages here: each offer is detailed: ticketing, catering….
    premium package holders have access to a dedicated gate, and a dedicated entry to the court
    – you’ll have 90% chance to see Rafa. players like Nadal and Federer usually play all their matches but one on Chatrier
    – if it rains, play stops.
    – I usually use airbnb to rent apartment when I travel

29. Ligia says:

Thank you for the article! It is great!

30. Katherine says:

Hi. I am planning to go to RG for the first time this year with my family. I have a question regarding the tickets for Chatrier. Do we get access to all of the matches on Chatrier for the day of our ticket or do we only get to watch one match on the court? I know there is unlimited access to outside courts but am unsure how the process works for show courts.
    Also, my family has five people and I know that I will have to do two different transactions, but can I do the two transactions from the same RG online account or should my family create two accounts?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/tips!

31. ludmilla says:

if you buy Chatrier tickets you’ve got access to all matches on Chatrier that day (except for mens semifinals for which you have access to SF 1 or SF 2) + access to outside courts (3 to 18). You’ll need 2 accounts, that means you probably won’t seat next to each other.

32. Katherine says:

Thank you! One more question: do we get to pick seats when buying tickets or are they randomly assigned?