Roland Garros 2016

How to buy French Open tickets

Here’s my guide to help you buy tickets for Roland Garros, the second Slam of the season. If you have any question, feel free to ask below, I’ll do my best to answer.

The events

Serena Williams, Roland Garros 2015

Qualifyings – 21 to 25 May 2018

Tickets give access to the entire public area within the stadium. Courts 6 to 18 have unreserved seating and are open to all. Court Suzanne Lenglen is also open to all spectators to watch players from the main draw practising before the tournament starts. (Check out my report from last year’s qualifyings 3 days at Roland Garros: Rafa, Andy, Petra and more).

Roland Garros Kids’ Day – 26 May 2018

Roland Garros Kids’ Day is a charity event, devoted to fund raising for charitable organisations. On Kids’ Day, exhibition matches are scheduled on the three main courts, with plenty of other activities and practice sessions on the other courts and throughout the stadium.

French Open – 27 May to 10 June 2018

Since 2006 the French Open has started on a Sunday, that means the first round is played over three days from Sunday to Tuesday. Every other round is played over two days. Unlike the Australian and US Opens, there is no night session, only a day session.

Legends Trophy – 5 to 10 June 2018

The Legends Trophy (Trophée des Légendes) brings together twenty-four of history’s greatest champions, grouped according to age in the two men’s draws, and twelve former women’s tennis stars. Matches are played on court 1 and court Suzanne Lenglen during the second week of the French Open and can be watched by holders of outside courts tickets.

Wheelchair tennis tournament – 7 to 9 June 2018

The wheelchair tennis tournament is held during the second week of the French Open. All wheelchair tennis matches can be watched by holders of outside courts tickets.

Check out the provisional schedule.

The courts

Court Philippe Chatrier, Roland Garros 2015
Tickets for show courts (Philippe Chatrier, Suzanne Lenglen, court number one) also give access to the outside courts; you will be assigned an allocated seat for the whole day. On the outside courts, seating is on a first come first served basis, there is no allocated seat.

Court Philippe Chatrier

Court Philippe Chatrier was built in 1928 as Roland Garros’s centerpiece and remains its principal venue, seating 14,840 spectators. The stadium was known simply as “Court Central” until 1998, when it was renamed for Philippe Chatrier, the long-time president of the Fédération Française de Tennis (FFT) who helped restore tennis as a Summer Olympics sport in 1988.

Plan_CourtPC

Court Suzanne Lenglen

The secondary Roland Garros stadium with a capacity of 10,068 spectators, the court Suzanne Lenglen was built in 1994. Suzanne Lenglen, born in 1899, was the first female tennis celebrity and one of the first international female sport stars, named La Divine (the divine one) by the French press.

Court Suzanne Lenglen Roland Garros

Court One

Nicknamed the “Bullring” because of its circular shape – is a favorite among serious tennis fans because of its relatively small size ( 3,800 seats) and feeling of close proximity to the action.

Court 1 Roland Garros

Outside courts

Courts 3 to 18. Outside courts and have been the scene of some stunning French Open upsets in the past. In the early rounds of the tournament, outside courts are also the place to be to watch the top players practicing.

The tickets

Novak Djokovic, Roland Garros 2015

Individual tickets

Single all day tickets: Allow a reserved seat on one of the show courts (Chatrier, Lenglen and Court 1) and/or unlimited access to the outside courts. From €20 on outside courts, from €50 on Chatrier.

Evening Visitors from 27 May to 6 June: Tickets to outside courts or one of the show courts from 5pm. Pre-book your tickets from 5 pm on the evening before the day you wish to attend. From €12.

Multi day passes

Multi-day passes available:
– week end: Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 June. From €200 for 2 days on Lenglen, from €225 on Chatrier.
– semifinals: Thursday 7 and Friday 8 June. From €265.
– finals: Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 June. From €290.

Premium packages

All Premium packages include one ticket to the Court Philippe-Chatrier or Suzanne-Lenglen and dedicated services: lounges, dining, hotels … Premium ticket sales open on March 7. More details on the official website.

Booking limits

– 1 order and payment per person: Only one payment may be made per credit card (for the same card number). Bank e-cards or virtual credit cards shall not be accepted.
– 4 tickets for the main courts over the entire tournament.
– 12 tickets for the outside courts over the entire tournament
– no limit for qualifyings or Roland Garros Kids’ Day

How to order tickets

Court Chatrier, Roland Garros 2015

Keep in mind that there are no ticket sales at the stadium itself before or during tournament. All bookings have to be made before the event. The tickets sell out really fast, so you better be prepared.

There are only 2 ways to legally buy tickets:
– the official Roland Garros website
– official French Open agencies that propose exclusively VIP tickets and corporate hospitality offers. You can find the complete list here.

Roland Garros website

Ticket sales open to the general public on March 21. Tickets are sold on a first come first served basis, so check out the website in advance to plan what days and courts you would like tickets for.

The e-tickets need to be printed and will be scanned at the entrance gate of the stadium, where a pass will be printed in the name of the ticketholder. These will be checked against an ID to enter the stadium.

From mid-April, you can also resell tickets via Roland Garros website and buy tickets up until the day of the event, depending on their availability. Find out how to buy resale tickets.

Tips to order your French Open tickets

– create your account in advance
– tickets are sold on a first come first served basis, so check out the website in advance to plan what days and courts you would like tickets for
– write down the tickets you want to order
– check out the booking limits: only one order and payment per person
– no need to try to log in at midnight on the first day, tickets sale open at 10am Paris time (9am GMT)
– don’t refresh your browser page, you would only lose your place in the queue
– if you didn’t get the tickets you wanted, try again from mid-April

If you manage to get tickets and want to share your pictures and stories on Tennis Buzz, please leave a comment below.

Read also:
Roland Garros FAQs
How to buy Roland Garros resale tickets
How to get last minute Roland Garros tickets

Comments
315 Responses
  1. Carlos says:

Hi, i’am looking to be sur to get some tickets. in that way i was checking viagogo website for sunday 4th (philippe chatrier) and the tickets are about eur 300
    That is correct? Why that huge diference compared the official info on the RG web site???
    They are speculating before the official start selling on march 22???
    Tks

2. ludmilla says:

@Carlos the official prices are here: https://fft-billetterie.cdn.prismic.io/fft-billetterie%2Fd0f925d9-8ad9-4295-b871-af6469f52dda_tarifs+rg+17_uk+v2.pdf
    Viagogo is no longer in partnership with Roland Garros. The tickets on sale on this website are sold illegally and without any guarantee.
    Sale is already open for members of FFT (French Tennis Federation).

3. Katie says:

Hi there! Thanks for the helpful blog. When you say finals tickets sell out really quickly, do you mean literally in seconds/minutes like some gig tickets?

4. ludmilla says:

@Katie in an hour or two

5. J says:

Can someone please explain to me how the multi day passes for the semi finals / final are more expensive that individual purchases? In general you would assume that the multiday pass would be cheaper… if not least the same of the sum total of individual tickets….. thanks in advance

6. ludmilla says:

@J My explanation is: what is rare is expensive. It’s nearly impossible to buy separately tickets for both finals in the same category. It’s rare, so you pay more for a pack.

7. Carlos says:

Hi, i just check the RG web site and its show that the only tickes now available are those for premium packes…. when you go to the daily booking ticket selection to buy the tickets also appear the option to buy out side court ticket. The problem is that they are sold out!
    It is possible that will be more out side court ticket available on the sale that start on 22th march?

8. ludmilla says:

@Carlos they only sell the premium packages at the moment. The general ticket sale open on 22 March, you’ll be able to buy outside courts from that date.

9. Jonathan says:

Do children need a ticket too? I am planning to take my daughter, age 7, this year.

10. ludmilla says:

@Jonathan children over 6 need tickets

11. eve says:

Hi – I’m interested in getting a grounds pass for the final day (June 11) but it’s unclear on the official website exactly how many matches I could see on the outside courts: https://tickets.rolandgarros.com/en/schedule

For sure there is the Finals Gentlemen’s Legends’ Trophy, but what does “All goings to the Finals” mean?? Thanks!

12. ludmilla says:

@eve “All goings to the Finals” mean you can watch the final on a big screen. You can find more info here: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/content/the_tournament/rg_events.html

13. Adrian says:

Hello
    Do you know what are the ticket prices for the qualifying rounds (i.e during 22 – 26 May)?
    The official RG website only has ticket prices from the 28 May when the tournament officially starts.

I’m looking to buy these tickets:
    Fri 26 May – Qualifying round
    Sun 28 May – Cat.2. Suzanne – Lenglen or Cat 1. Court 1, if SL is sold out
    Mon 29 May – Cat 3. Philippe – Chatrier or Cat 1. Court 1, if PC is sold out
    Wed 31 May – Cat 1. Court 1 or Cat 2. Court 2, if Court 1 is sold out
    Thurs 1 Jun – Cat.2. Suzanne – Lenglen or Cat 3. Philippe – Chatrier, if SL is sold out
    Sun 4 Jun – Outside Court

I’d like at least 4 tickets of something so I’m trying to cover all options. Do you think the above is possible?

Thanks
    Adrian

14. Thomas says:

Hi – I want to try to buy tickets for the men’s finals on Wednesday at the official french open website.

I personally don’t possess a creditcard, do you know if it is possible to pay the tickets with my sisters mastercard?
    Or is it required that the owner of the account is the same as of the creditcard?

Thanks
    Thomas

15. ludmilla says:

@Adrian, €20 for qualifyings.
    as for your schedule, yes it should be ok. When you’re making your order start with the Chatrier tickets then the Lenglen then the Court 1

@Thomas there should be no problem

16. Adrian says:

@ludmilla

Thank you for the prompt reply, it’s much appreciated.

Great website too! It has helped me understand Roland Garros as I have never been, and will be making the trek all the way from Australia.

Regards
    Adrian

17. ludmilla says:

@Adrian thanks! Hoping you’ll enjoy your stay at Roland Garros.

18. Hillary H says:

Hi tennis buzzz blog!
    Thank you and merci (appears you are from Lille) for your great info. !
    I would like to get best possible seats for Roland Garrros June 3-4. What’s the best way to do this– go through the RG process or a ticket agency? How much would the mark up be with the latter but would that give me better odds? I’d like the ease and peace of mind of getting good seats for my travel investment… And is there a better agency?
    Thanks for your insight!
    Hillary

19. ludmilla says:

Hi Hillary, there are only 2 ways to buy tickets: Roland Garros website or official agencies. If you’re from the States the only authorized agency is tours4tennis.
    Prices are here: http://www.tours4tennis.com/roland-garros/pack-open-individual-tickets, tickets for 4th of June are already sold out on this site.

20. Dorin says:

Hello,

There’s three of us and would like to buy 3 category 1 tickets for Philippe Chatrier for 2 consecutive days – the 2nd round on the 31st of May and the 1st of June.
    Does this mean that we will have to buy 6 tickets and have to make two separate orders with distinct credit cards or can we buy them all on the same order?

21. ludmilla says:

@Dorin 2 separate orders. Set up your accounts in advance, so that the process will be quicker to buy tickets on Wednesday.

22. Diana says:

Hello,
    Bucket lister here. Am baby boomer and I am going to try to buy 2017 tickets on RG website. I have never done anything like this before. I am totally in the dark. Never did this for ANY concerts. If anyone has done this to buy concert tickets I could use some of your advice.
    I plan on setting my alarm for 4am as that is 10am in Paris.
    I read that folks were #7,000 in the line to order. Where do you see that number on the website? And do you just wait?

Any help in understanding what I will see on RG website will be helpful.

23. Tony says:

How come Multi-Pass Cat. 1 tickets for P-C on June 3 and 4 are more expensive than the same tickets priced separately – €375 compared to €300

24. ludmilla says:

@Diana when you’re in the queue the only things you can see is your number is the queue and the estimated time of wait. And yes you just wait, don’t refresh your browser you would lose your place in the queue.
    Set up an account in advance, prepare yourself: write down the tickets you want to order. Follow the instructions everything is well explained.

25. ludmilla says:

@Tony It is difficult to get tickets for the weekend especially on Chatrier. So, you pay a bit more and you’ve got two tickets in the same category.

26. Murty says:

Ludmilla,

Thanks so much for your helpful comments and advice.

I was wondering about the “place in the queue”. Does signing into my Roland Garros account and not logging off for days on end give me a place for regularly priced tickets? (I am asking because the only orders available now are for premium packages.)

27. Tony says:

Sounds good Ludmilla, many thanks for your response

28. Diana says:

Ludmilla,
    Thank you for your response. I will follow your advice.

29. Diana says:

Ludmilla,
    Thank you for your response. I will follow your advice.

What time do you suggest I get to RG to buy qualifying ticket for Friday, May 25?

30. ludmilla says:

@Murty Roland Garros website will be put on maintenance mode later today to prepare tomorrow’s sale , all the accounts will be logged off. Tomorrow when the site is up again you’ll join the queue.

31. ludmilla says:

@Diana do you mean you want to buy qualies tickets at Roland Garros stadium? You go there in the morning and you buy it.

32. Diana says:

Ludmilla,
    Yes, I will buy qualies at stadium. Just wondered if you suggest getting there as early as possible. Would there be a chance that all qualies would be sold?
    Thank you for all your help!!!!

Diana

33. ludmilla says:

@Diana don’t get there too early there will be nobody at the stadium ;o) If I remember well, gates open at 10. So, on the 25th of May, get there around 9.30. Not sure, I never bought at the stadium.

34. Malli says:

Hi Ludimilla,

I want buy the Men’s final tickets. Is it possible to get the tickets in the early May based on my trip to Paris. Just wondering whether tickets will be completely sold out by tommorw itself :). Also is there any registered agency in India to book the tickets?

35. Radu says:

Hello,

I waited 30 min in the queue and then I selected the tickets and then I waited for a long time and nothing happened. It was just a sign, something like a “please wait”. What should I do? Should I wait more time? I already waited 25 minutes.

Thank you!

36. James says:

Hi Radu,

Same thing happened to me. Was queuing from 9 (gmt). Selected tickets then got waiting screen then it redirected me after 20mins to back of queue again. Am trying on my mobile but am still 6000 places away. Really frustrating as have queued twice now and got in only for website to fail me.

37. Radu says:

James, please tell me what is happening next. I am nr 17.000 in the queue again.

Thannks and good luck!

38. James says:

Its just done it again!!!! Back to 18000! Is there someone I can call?

39. Radu says:

I have no idea 🙁

I still have 7000 to go, I am usinng my mobile phone now. I will let you know what happens.

40. Eivind says:

Got in line exactly at 10:00 as number 800, but the order page didn’t work in Safari. Ridiculous. Should have had tickets for mens final, but now I got nothing.

41. James says:

Finally got tickets. Had to phone my wife and she did it from her work pc. Didnt work for me on phone or tablet got sent to the back of the queue 3 times! Only wanted 1st round tickets so still lots left when we got on. Good luck guys. Hope you get through!

42. Radu says:

Finally I got also for the first round, because it was the only possibility, also from a different pic. Does anyone know if it is going to be a resale process? I would also like tickets for men final.

43. Eivind says:

Radu: Yes, there will be resale. I managed to get cat2 tickets for mens final last year that way.

44. ludmilla says:

@Radu from April 5 you can buy/sell unwanted tickets

45. ludmilla says:

@Malli Finals tickets are sold out a few hours after the start of the sale. From April 5 you can buy/sell unwanted tickets

46. Luciana says:

I managed to get tickets on the 22.03 but not the quantity I wanted. I got 3 instead of 4. Is the restriction of 4 tickets per person and one credit card still applies during the resale? Also, is there any issue with someone buying a ticket for another person (i.e. beneficiary of the ticket is not the purchaser/account holder)? Thanks.

47. ludmilla says:

1. from what I know yes. You can only buy one more with the same card.
    2. no. each ticket must have the name of the ticketholder, it will be checked with your IDs.
    for exemple for the 3 tickets you bought: ticket 1 Luciana Smith, ticket 2 John Smith, ticket 3 Jane Smith
    Hoping it’s a bit clearer.

48. sook says:

Tickets seem to be available on ticketbis (a stubhub company). IS this a legitimate source for tickets? When do official resales begin on the RG site?

49. ludmilla says:

No. There are only 2 ways to legally buy tickets:
    – the official Roland Garros website
    – official French Open agencies that propose exclusively VIP tickets and corporate hospitality offers. You can find the complete list here: https://tickets.rolandgarros.com/en/public/information#official-agencies
    From April 5, you can buy resale tickets via Roland Garros website.