adidas, Official Sportswear Partner of Team GB and Paralympics GB presented the team kit that will be worn by 500 Olympic and 350 Paralympic British athletes at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The kit, designed by Stella McCartney, was revealed in spectacular style at the Tower of London where over 30 athletes including Jessica Ennis, Phillips Idowu and Ellie Simmonds showcased the performance range including competition kit, training wear, the presentation suit, footwear and accessories.
Over two years in the making, McCartney’s design of the kit focusses on the Union flag:
“The first place to start on a project like this is to look at the Union flag. For me it’s one of the most beautiful flags in the world and it was important for me to stay true to that iconic design but also to modernise it and present it in a contemporary way. Ultimately, we wanted the athletes to feel like a team and be proud with the identity we created.”
Judging by the comments on her facebook page, I’m not the only one to dislike this:
- The Union flag is RED, WHITE & BLUE………not blue, white and blue!!
- The Union Jack did not need re-designing. Or re-interpreting.
- I’d freak if someone messed with my (Irish) tricolour the way the Union Jack was used on this kit. I’m shocked as artistic licence is one thing but changing a national flag is a complete other. It really should be redone out of respect.
- A kid would have come up with something more exciting …. utter crap!
- Why the fuck didnt someone who knows the British flags design this?
- The design is almost exactly the same as the US Postal Service, how dare you ruin our heritage this way, what were you thinking by dismissing the red of England?
She tried to defense her design, without convincing anyone:
“I wanted to start with the union flag, but I’m really aware the reds, whites and blues are in other nations’ flags and sometimes you can feel quite confused when you are watching the Games… is that American, is that French?”
I guess she has serious problems if she can’t recognize French and US flags and kits…
Replica ranges of the British team kit will go on sale in April, including football, tennis, cycling, basketball, athletics and swimwear. Check out some Olympic athletes modeling the kits: